Saturday, October 23, 2010

Response to articles

Getting poor grades on anything always made me have a panic attack. Anything below an 80 is just unacceptable in my eyes and in my parent’s eyes. I admit that I can be lazy and just do the bare minimum but I feel  that if it meets what is required why shouldn’t you get at least a B.  However I disagree with the article that talked about just showing up and doing the readings should be enough. You have to actually know the material and study the material in order to get those good grades.
This article was right in talking about how students react to getting a C and thinking they deserve a B. I’m the same way though when I get bad grade I almost hate myself and I need to know how and why I got that poor grade. School takes more than just effort you need to know what’s going on in your class and be prepared for test. The one thing I disagree with this article about is “He said that if students developed a genuine interest in their field, grades would take a back seat, and holistic and intrinsically motivated learning could take place.” I personally think grades are important no matter what and shouldn’t take a back seat. I know I’m always concerned with my grades; how can you get into a good college with bad grades or graduate school with bad grades. Your grades should never take a back seat. My suggest to students that don’t understand why they’re getting a low grade is to go and talk to the professor and see what they can do to improve their grade.
Nobody wants an F

No comments:

Post a Comment