Saturday, September 11, 2010

True of False?

Does becoming great at something involve skills or practice? I thought the 10,000 Hours for Success article was very fascinating because at the end of the article I didn’t know what I believed anymore. Before I read this article I always thought that people were just born to be great at instruments like the piano or they were just born smart but I don’t believe that anymore. I believe it all comes from the amount you practice and how far you’re willing to go to be great. People that have worked at their skills for over 10,000 hours in their life obviously want to be great and they deserve to be great with all their hard work.
http://abundance-blog.marelisa-online.com/2008/11/17/outliers-10000-hours-for-success/

Personally I know it takes a lot of work to be great at something. When I was younger people would always tell me that I was a natural soccer player because I was better than most people my age, so I thought that meant I didn’t have to practice as hard. When I was in middle school I was cocky because I was captain and one of the best players on my team and I let that get to me so I stopped practicing as hard. By the time I got to high school I still played soccer but it wasn’t as fun because I wasn’t the star anymore, there were older girls that were a lot better than me and even people in my grade that I use to be better than practiced all summer and caught up to me. I guess the moral to this story was my natural skills only got me so far I had to practice to get better than everyone else.
He's going to be greeat because he started practicing at such a young age.
I still believe that talent somewhat decides if you’ll be good at instrument, but it’s up to you take it the rest of the way. Do you want to be successful in life? If you do, PRACTICE and you should do great. After all the saying is practice makes perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment