Saturday, September 18, 2010

Outcast United at Southern

I’m going to be very honest and just admit I hated Outcast United, I don’t think I’ve ever hated a book more than this book. I had to force myself to read it all summer long and it was just painful. I think the storyline behind this book was very good and this could have been a good book but it just was not interesting to me at all. The book is taken place Clarkston, Georgia. Clarkston was turned into a refugee settlement center in the 1990s. Suddenly Clarkston’s streets were filled with a wide range of diversity, it was no longer the typical people walking around the streets and there were kids of all colors playing soccer. In this town there was a woman named Luma Mufleh, an American-educated Jordanian woman who founded a youth soccer team of refugee children and the team became known as the Fugees.
Even though I didn’t care for this book I understand why we had to read it. Southern is just such a diverse population of people that we can’t judge anybody and we need to accept everybody for the person they are. That is all we heard about at orientation was how everything on this campus was so diverse and we all need to get use to that. Even the first weekend here we broke off into groups and talked about how the population of people is pretty even so we need to learn how to deal with everyone. The Fugees all had one thing that united them and that was the fact that they had soccer and here at school we are all connected through Southern. Somehow we all ended up at Southern and we are united in that sense, we may have a different religion, different skin, or different groups of friends but Southern UNITES US ALL TOGETHER!  
This website might help you understand the book better http://www.outcastsunited.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment