Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Beauty of Free Writes

My first three weeks of college have been absolutely awesome! I have made great friends and I love all my classes so far, especially my English class. Professor Sinclair is super nice and I love his method of teaching. We are in the middle of writing our first papers for his class and he makes it very easy for me. Writing has never been one of my strong qualities and I’ve always just hated it but in his class I don’t mind it. I normally get writers block and just stare at my computer for hours not knowing what to say but for him we do free writes for 10 to 20 minutes and just write whatever we remember. Doing these free writes really takes the pressure off me for writing because nobody is going to see my free write so it doesn’t matter how my words come out.
I use to hate reading at this age
Our free writes have been on our memories of reading and writing. My memory is a bad experience of learning how to read with my second grade teacher because she never encouraged me. While in his class I remembered how much I use to hate reading and writing because of how mean my teacher was. Doing these free writes in his class is showing me how to remember all these memories in a fun way. Professor Sinclair tells us how to start our free writes and what we need to make a good story. I thought I was going to struggle with writing my first essay for college but I’m not worried about this essay because I’m just using all my notes from the free write. I probably have at least 7 pages of notes to use in my essay. I don’t have to struggle with starting the essay because I already have all my key points written down. The most surprising part is how much I hate to write but I'm actually looking forward to writing this paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment