Saturday, November 20, 2010

Peer Advocates

My peer advocate club
When I was in high school there were multiple situations when I had to be a leader. Two specific situations were when I was president of the club Amnesty International and when I was a member of peer advocates. I think I was more of a leader when I was part of The Morgan Peer Advocate Club. We were role models for the school because we were above the influence. We were a group of leaders trying to make a difference in the community that we live in. We were there to bring what we learn in our training sessions, and use it in the real world. We didn’t just learn about problems out there, we would try to make what we learned, a good-kind of reality. Our main mission within in our school and town was, to improve the place we learn and the place we live in by maintaining drug-free living. We went through a year of training to help guide others live the same drug-free life we lived.

I choice to be a leader within my community because I don’t believe in drug use and there was way to much of it in my town. I knew to many good people that ended up turning to drugs and are now “potheads” I wanted to help as many people as I could stay away from drugs. I lost to many people to drugs and I wanted the cycle to end so I joined peer advocates. I was only apart of peer advocates for two short years but I really believe in what they are about and wish I joined the club my freshman year. I think becoming a peer advocates saved me from just becoming another drug addict in my town and I am eternally grateful for the peer advocate club. They do great work and help a lot of people and I’m glad I can say I was apart of something like that.

I don't believe I talked enough about how important a peer advocate but this link does http://www.vanderbilt.edu/isss/documents/PeerAdvocateJobDescription.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment